Housing refers to houses or buildings collectively; accommodation of people; planning or provision of accommodation by an authority; and related meanings. The social issue is of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. Committee members play an important role in forming a housing society , Election poll are there for election of chairman , secretary and treasurer, which is superior and decision taker, roles are assign by the committee for three of them. Many governments have one or more Housing authority , sometimes also called a housing ministry, or housing department.
As Chairperson and indeed as a member of a committee it is vital that we are all aware of the powers and duties associated with the chairperson role.
The role may be daunting to some and we hope to provide a little insight into what to expect and how to manage this position.
General duties can include:
- · The necessity to assist if asked by an adjudicator
- · To accept a notice, legal process or other documents
- · The appointment of a proxy for a committee meeting
- · Requirement to seal documents with the body corporate seal
Committee meetings provide an important platform for which the Chairperson must oversee and manage proceedings. The role will include:
- · That meetings are held to prepare agenda for the general meeting
- · That restricted matters are not dealt with at committee meetings
- · Knowledge of spending limits and authorizations
- · Chairing the meeting
- · Declaration of quorum
- · Dealing with conflict of interests.
- · In absence of secretary acknowledges receipt of the request for a special meeting
What the Chair must know and be prepared to implement is the general role of ensuring that all legalities are acknowledged and that formal proceedings of a general meeting are met.
These may include:
- · Acceptance of committee nominations
- · Knowledge of who can vote
- · Placement of proxies before meeting for admittance
- · Ruling of motions out of order if necessary
- · Provision of reasons for ruling and that they are minuted
- · Acceptance of procedural motions
- · Determination of quorum
- · Acting as the subsidiary scheme representative
- · Acceptance of written voting papers
- · Decision for ballots
- · Declaration of voting results
- · Acceptance of amendments to motions
The duties of the secretary can be varied and below are a number of tasks that may be expected if you hold this position.
- · Arrange time and place for inspection of records
- · Issue Body Corporate information certificates
- · Must assist adjudicator
- · Accept quotes and tenders for proposed major work
- · Provision of documents for audit
- · Arrange insurances
- · Seal documents with Body Corporate seal
- · Call committee meetings
- · Send out notices of meetings
- · Receive objections from members
- · Preparation of meeting notice and agenda
- · Receives completed proxy forms
- · Prepare motion paper for a committee decision taken outside of the meeting
- · Advise owners of committee decisions
- · Ask owners to submit nomination and motions
- · Receive committee nominations and motions
- · Acknowledge receipt of committee nominations
- · Provide copies of meeting notices to all lot owners
- · Composes and circulates the agenda for general meetings
- · Accept written voting papers
- · Accepts proxy forms
- · Provides for inspection the Body Corporate roll, list of persons entitled to vote and all proxy votes and voting papers
- · Takes and distributes minutes
As treasurer your role will be to provide and maintain accurate records of all financial transactions relating to the Body Corporate.
Budgets must be set for the administrative fund, the sinking fund and special contributions. The treasurer will also prepare and send out levy notices to lot owners and if there are outstanding levy payments it is the treasurer’s responsibility to take action and recover those amounts.
Record keeping is imperative as is reconciliation of all accounts held in the name of the Body Corporate. The treasurer must provide all records for any audit that may be required and of course to manage any borrowings or income that may generated outside of Lot owners levy payments. For information about financing check out https://financejar.co.uk/